The majority of injury cases we handle are the result of accidents involving automobiles, trucks, motorcycles or bicycles. If you are involved in an accident and you feel that you might be even slightly injured, the emergency room of your local hospital or your family doctor’s office should be your first stop as soon as possible after the accident. Injuries should be treated as soon as possible. If the injuries turn out to be more than minor, then it may be time to contact an attorney.
Do I Need an Attorney?
A question we are often asked is whether or not an attorney is required after an auto accident. The answer depends on the circumstances of the accident. If the accident is truly just a very minor “fender-bender,” and it is certain that no one is injured, the chances are that a lawyer may not be required and you can take care of the case with your own auto insurance company and some negotiation with the opposing party’s insurance company. But if the situation becomes more complicated, especially if it appears that you are going to need further medical treatment, then it might be time to consult with an attorney to discuss how best to handle dealings with medical providers and insurance companies.
How can I avoid and also prepare for possible accidents?
- Don’t Drink and Drive – Statistics show that alcohol is involved in a majority of accidents.
- Watch other vehicles and drive defensively – Give them as much space as you can. Things happen fast at 60 mph. More space gives more time to react.
- Have both good health and auto insurance. One of the main causes of personal bankruptcy is medical bills, so good health coverage is essential. Good auto insurance can protect you from lawsuits.
- Get the most uninsured coverage you can on your auto policy. A large percentage of drivers have either no insurance or only minimal coverage. You cannot depend on other drivers to ahve enough insurance to cover your losses. Uninsured/underinsured coverage puts the matter in your control.
What should I do in case I have an Accident?
- Unless your accident was completely minor and you are sure you have no injuries, head straight for the nearest Emergency Room or your family doctor for examination.
- Get recommended treatment. Use your health insurance or auto policy medpay to pay. This ensures that you will not suffer damage to your credit score due to unpaid medical bills.
- From the very start organize and prepare all relevant medical, police, damage and health records.
- Speak with an experienced Personal Injury Attorney to determine the best course of action.
How can Comerford Law Firm help me recover from an accident?
The last thing you need when you are injured is to deal with insurance adjustors asking for a statement about the accident, hospital billing staff asking how your bills will be paid, and all the other details that need to be taken care of after an accident happens. You should be spending your time recovering, not doing unfamiliar business. It’s a familiar business to us, and we can help relieve you of much of the stress that comes after an accident. Comerford Law Firm diligently and zealously represents clients who have been injured in traffic, slip-and-fall, animal attack and other types of accidents. We take over communication and negotiations with insurance companies and medical providers so that you can recuperate without having to worry about financial harm that might be a result of the accident.
Our system for handling accident cases
Every accident case is different. Still, the steps involved in seeing to a fast and efficient recovery with the best physical and financial results are the same in most cases. When we represent a new client the first thing we do is ensure that he or she is getting the appropriate medical treatment, and that the treatment is being paid for so that our client will not face financial problems due to the injuries. Next we send a letter of representation to all related insurance companies and medical providers, instructing them to deal primarily with our firm and not disturb the client or his or her family. This instantly provides our clients with the peace of mind that they can concentrate on recovery while their case is being taken care of by caring and dedicated professionals who are looking out for their interests. While treatment continues we monitor the case and provide periodic updates to insurance providers so they will better understand the nature and extent of the injuries, providing a factual basis for later settlement negotiations. Clear communication with all parties is the key to successful resolution.
When treatment is finished we organize and prepare all the relevant police and medical records in a Demand Letter to the insurance company of the responsible party, summarizing the accident and the injuries and demanding a certain amount of money in settlement. We then negotiate with the company and do our best to negotiate a suitable settlement. We are proud of our record at settling cases before the need for lawsuits and litigation. Nevertheless, in those cases where negotiation does not succeed, such as when there is a genuine dispute over facts of the accident or the injuries, we are ready to file suit and take the case to the next level. It is important to note that because we take a limited number of cases each year, we are in regular communication with our clients. We always consult with them, explain their options, and make sure they are in informed agreement before taking any actions or making any settlement decisions
Never a fee until we win your case. Call 510-277-0191