Oakland Auto Accident Attorney
FIVE-STAR RATED Oakland auto accident attorney John Comerford helps Oakland residents injured in vehicle accidents recover their losses so that they can concentrate on rebuilding their lives. If you’ve been involved in an Oakland auto accident, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation for your losses. That said, don’t trust the insurance company — either yours or the other guy’s — to pay you the compensation you deserve. Statistics show that having a personal injury lawyer on your side will result in more favorable settlements than trying to stand up to the insurance companies yourself.
Auto insurance companies aren’t interested in your financial or medical recovery. Their business model is all about making a profit. For insurance companies to make a profit they offer those injured lowball offers that rarely cover the full cost of your current and future medical bills and lost wages.
Oakland auto accident attorney John Comerford goes out of his way to make a difficult time as easy as possible for you and your family. If you have been injured in a vehicle accident in Oakland, Alameda County, or anywhere in the San Francisco Bay area, you should hire an experienced auto accident attorney.
Comerford Law Firm is 5-STAR rated by its clients for a reason, including:
- We provide a free, no-obligation consultation.
- We let you know if you have a legitimate claim.
- We share with you the potential value of your claim.
- If we accept your case, there is NEVER a fee until we win your case.
- We will deal with the insurance company for you.
- We have extensive experience handling auto accident negotiations and lawsuits, if necessary.
- We appreciate our clients think so highly of us. We want to ‘wow’ you with our service too!
An automobile accident resulting in injuries is a traumatic and stressful experience. In addition to the upset in your day-to-day life, anxiety about money, disruption to your job or career, and the physical pain of recovering from your injuries, you must address outstanding medical bills, future medical treatment, and your financial recovery.
Doctors & Medical Treatment – If you do not have a qualified medical doctor to get you the necessary care to allow you to recover, Oakland auto accident attorney, John Comerford can help connect you with the best specialists in Oakland and other locations in the San Francisco Bay area so you can get the care you need and deserve.
Sometimes, finding the best doctors or proper medical procedure can be a challenge. Oakland auto accident lawyer John Comerford helps his clients deal with the insurance company, and if necessary, can help his clients find necessary medical treatment so they can concentrate on getting better. As a matter of fact, Comerford Law Firm will handle all aspects of your personal injury case from the initial investigation, helping you find specialized medical treatment, to the final settlement and financial recovery. Moreover, we don’t charge clients hourly rates, but only get paid if we recover for you.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents
While auto accidents can occur for many reasons, there are several common causes, including but not limited to:
- Driving While Impaired – Drivers who are impaired by alcohol or drugs (including recreational marijuana) are often very dangerous to themselves and other drivers. DUI / DWI impairment accidents occur often.
- Distracted Driving – Distracted driving has become one of the leading causes of auto accidents. It used to be reaching for a CD or fiddling with the radio, talking with passengers, or looking at people or buildings on the side of the road. Now it is more often texting while driving, making a phone call, accessing the smartphone’s Google Maps or Waze destinations.
- Speeding & Maintaining Control – Speeding is a huge cause of avoidable accidents. Speeding drivers are unable to react to other drivers, wildlife, pedestrians, potholes, debris in the roadway. Speeding drivers cannot control their vehicle on sudden curves and are unable to stop in time to avoid otherwise avoidable collisions.
- Unsafe Road Conditions – Road conditions change quickly due to weather, wind, visibility leading to driver error. Road problems such as potholes, uneven surfaces and active road construction are often partly responsible for less than vigilant drivers to make serious errors resulting in accidents.
- Reckless Driving – Reckless driving is often the playground of youthful drivers who don’t understand the life and death environment they create for innocent drivers who they come across. Reckless driving is often associated with speeding and drivers who must get somewhere sooner than is safe or wise. Weaving in and out of traffic, constantly passing other motorists maintaining a safe speed on long highways, excessive speeds, and dangerous turns are considered reckless.
- Malfunctioning Equipment – Sometimes auto and truck accidents happen due to a manufacturer’s defect in the automobile systems or parts such as brakes, axles, tires, steering gear and so on.
If you have been in a car accident it is your belief the other driver was at fault for one the above reasons or other negligence, you owe it to yourself to contact an Oakland auto accident attorney as soon as possible. It is imperative to determine the cause of the auto accident and who might be liable for your injuries, so you can seek the compensation you deserve under the law.
Pursuing Damages Through a Car Accident Insurance Claim
After being injured in a vehicle collision in or near Oakland, you can seek monetary compensation for your physical, psychological, and financial injuries. The most common remedy is to seek compensation through an insurance claim against the at-fault driver’s auto insurance policy. To do this, you must make a formal claim to the other driver’s insurer. Once the claim is started, a claims adjuster will begin the investigation of your claim to determine whether they will approve or deny the claim. The insurance adjustor will require your cooperation which includes, among other things, providing a statement about what happened leading up to and during the accident. Many otherwise good claims can go awry by accident victims agreeing to provide a statement before they should; including before all medical conditions are ruled out.
It is critically important that you speak to an Oakland auto accident attorney before you speak to the insurance company claims adjustor (or investigator) about your accident and injuries. Insurance companies seek rapid closure submitted claims before the full extent of the accident victim’s injuries have been diagnosed or uncovered. To protect your rights, discuss your accident case with a skilled attorney and allow them to represent your interests to the insurance company handling the claim.
Damages You Can Recover Following an Auto Accident
A common mistake accident made by victims of car accidents in Oakland is failing to understand what they can be compensated for and not demanding those damages. There are different types of damages available to victims after being injured in an accident. The two classification of damages are (1) economic, and (2) non-economic. Economic damages are those damages commonly understood as monetary losses that represent your tangible, out-of-pocket costs including:
- Medical Bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage and repair bills
- Lost earning capacity
Non-economic damages are those which are less tangible, more subjective, non-monetary losses including:
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Physical limitations
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Seeking Compensation in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, or if the insurance company denies your claim, you should speak with an Oakland auto accident attorney about filing a personal injury lawsuit. To prevail in a personal injury civil lawsuit, you must prove the other driver was careless or reckless and thus ‘breaching their duty’ to use ordinary care while driving. If they breached their duty as a driver and that led to an accident resulted in your injuries, then that driver could be found legally liable to compensate you.
Personal injury lawsuits are more difficult and take longer to resolve than an insurance claim, so your case must be strong, and the negligent driver should have sufficient cash, income, cashflow or other assets to compensate you if found liable. If the case is strong and the negligent driver appears to have enough net worth to compensate you for your injuries and other losses, the good news is that few personal injury auto accident cases go to trial. Most are resolved through a negotiated settlement before anyone sets foot in a courtroom. If you are considering filing a personal injury civil lawsuit following an auto accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawsuit lawyer quickly while facts and evidence are fresh.
Let Comerford Law Firm Help You
Fighting for your right to compensation following an auto accident can be challenging. If you are wavering at fighting for your rights, before you give up and throw in the towel, share you story with a personal injury attorney. What do you have to lose? A personal injury attorney can represent you through a challenging insurance claim that you might never prevail over on your own. If your insurance claim is denied, a skilled attorney can file a personal injury lawsuit to advance your rights and often end up negotiating a settlement to get you the compensation you deserve.
Free Case Evaluation (510) 277-0191
Oakland Personal Injury Lawyer
Oakland Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Oakland Bicycle Accident Lawyer